Wednesday, April 1, 2009

user name

The user name 'segfault' stems from the computer programming term 'segmentation fault'. I originally found it a good fit for me because my programming code usually generated a lot of segmentation faults. Now I like it for it's actual meaning. A seg fault happens when a process tries to access memory that was not allocated for its use; or reaching beyond your means. To reach beyond what has been given to you can be bad, obviously; it could be considered stealing in the computing world. One process trying to steal the resources of another; which explains why the operating system terminates the violating process. However, I prefer thinking of it as trying to make something more of yourself, trying to grow in a world that says no, or grasping for that which doesn't exist.

Anyway, first post attempted and completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment